Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Time to power up

Hello all in cyberspace.

I am a middle school Health educator (yes, I am the guy that talks about sex ed.). I am currently taking a class on how to best include web education in the classroom. Focuses include blogging, RSS, wikis, and webquests. I am completely new to the world of blogging, and am looking to gain some experience before I attempt to implement it in my lessons beginning next year.

I would like to connect with other educators of any kind who can give me feedback on the process that I am trying to open up to students. The title I chose for this particular blog comes from the idea that todays students are "powering down" the second that they enter the school doors, and that we are educators maybe doing them a diservice by demanding that. I used to hear that phrase and laugh with my fellow teachers, as we can often be resistant to change like most. However, the more I learn, the more appropriate web connection seems for my students.

As I become more comfortable with this process, I look forward to blogging about a number of topics including professional and college athletics (I am also a P.E. teacher), politics, the current state of education in the country, relationships, pop culture and hopefully much, much more. I am hoping to open up a new world that I was previously unaware of. I look forward to interacting with anyone who may find my random streams of consciousness interesting and/or thought provoking.

Live well,

CHAD

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a Special Education teacher and I introduced blogging to my students this year. It was a great success! They love it! I used blogging in my Comprehensive Science class and would post a topic for them to research about every other day on an educational blogsite. Some things that might help you include giving a decent set of rules/guidelines to follow with clear expectations. I got a lot of "texting" slang and poor grammar which bothered me, but may not bother you. I had them post the answer to the questions I made up which they researched on the sites I posted for them and gave point values for completion. I also had them respond back to each other's posts. It was mainly a teacher-run blog which students responded to. For one project they had to come up with and post their own blog topics for the rest of the class to do which worked well. Hope these little tips work for you. Good luck blogging!

You can check out our blog at http://adamy-kessingercompsci.21classes.com